A short guide to the Right of Public Access. 

Don’t disturb and Don’t destroy – those two ideas form the basis of the Swedish Right of Public Access. Our countryside is open to everyone, as long as you show consideration to other people, wildlife and the countryside. The few common-sense guidelines of the Right of Public Access apply to individuals, not to large groups or specially arranged tours. For anglers, it means that you can go freely to and from your fishing area, take your boat out on the water or moor on the shore – always provided that you have a valid fishing permit. The Right of Public Access does not cover fishing and hunting.


   North Sweden - Jockfall Fishing Camp 

Here are some of the main guidelines:

• Don’t leave litter in the countryside. This applies particularly to fishing lines, hooks, plastic bags, bottles, cans and glass, all of which can be dangerous for wild animals.

• You may not drive cars, caravans, motor homes, motorbikes or mopeds off-road or on private roads. Motor-vehicle traffic can cause severe wear on private roads and owners therefore have the right to ban such traffic. However, they can’t stop people from walking, cycling or riding horses along their road unless they would damage it.

• You are generally allowed to walk, cycle or ride across other people’s land provided that you don’t get nearer than 60-70 metres to houses and that you don’t walk over gardens or on cultivated land.

• You may not cut down trees or bushes, nor are you allowed to take nuts or resin, break branches or strip bark from trees. You may not disturb areas where animals live or to take birds’ eggs. Picking mushrooms, wild berries and unprotected flowers is permitted.


   Central Sweden - Pike fishing near the reeds 

• Fires are permitted, but not on rocky ground and never at times of year when fires are prohibited. Great care should always be taken when lighting fires in the countryside.

• You can put up a tent, but not on cultivated land or close to houses. Ask the landowner for permission if you want to stay in one place for more than a few days.

• It is permitted to travel in a boat on someone else’s waters. You can moor your boat for a day, but you may not go ashore on privately owned land. Special conditions can limit travel and access in certain areas.

• Swedish citizens may fish without a licence in public waters. Foreign citizens may fish without a licence in those waters as long as they use hand gear.

• Sport fishing without a licence is also allowed certain private waters along the coastline and in Sweden’s five largest lakes – Lakes Vänern, Vättern, Mälaren, Hjälmaren and Storsjön (in Jämtland). Fishing in other private waters is only allowed with a licence or other permit.

Please follow this link for a more information about the Right of Public Access:




© swedenfishing.com 2024